We are an experienced team of specialist sexual offence solicitors who defend all allegations of a sexual nature, including rape, sexual assault, indecent images, historic offence and revenge porn.
We are also able to advise on issues relating to Sexual Offences Prevention Orders (SOPOs), Sexual Risk Orders (SROs), Sexual Harm Prevention Orders (SHPOs) and other matters relating to the Sex Offenders Register.
Being properly advised from the outset of a criminal investigation, by a specialist solicitor, can make a crucial difference.
In summary, PCD Solicitors would want to check the following:
- All background information about the complainant.
- Whether any previous allegations have been made.
- Reasons why the complainant may have made a mistake.
- Reasons why a false allegation may have been made.
- The character of the complainant.
- The circumstances of the allegation. For example, if the sexual activity was alleged to have occurred on a school trip, were there any witnesses to what happened generally on that trip? The precise timetable should be examined.
- The character of the defendant. In this type of case the defendant is often of excellent standing and this information should be made known to the jury. Where the allegation is not corroborated, the fact that the defendant is of previous good character may make the difference between a conviction and a not guilty verdict.
- Social services records and medical records. Medical records are particularly important where a mental disorder is alleged, as the precise nature of the illness or incapacity could impact on whether the evidence of the complainant is credible.
- False allegations often fall down on the detail. The more detail we can uncover about the complainant, the more chance we have of a successful defence. At PCD Solicitors we take a thorough investigative approach to all aspects of the case.
The defence can call witnesses to give evidence in court in favour of the defendant and whether they had any reason to suspect him in the past of any offence.
Extreme care must be taken in compiling background information on the complainant. The way this information is then presented at a trial is crucial. No prizes go to the defence for attacking an alleged victim of a sexual assault without proper evidence. At PCD Solicitors we only use senior and experienced barristers, with expertise in sexual offence cases, to represent you in court.